Sunday 18 September 2011

Day 8. Mon Aug 22nd. Clitheroe to Kirkby Stephen. 55 Miles.

After a fabulous breakfast at the 'Old Post House Hotel'. We gathered for our morning briefing and were told that although we only had 55 miles to do today, much like day 2 it was going to be a hard but great days cycling. Short in mileage long in hills! Collectively we were  in high spirits as the day was warm and dry with hardly a breath of wind. We left Clitheroe behind and very soon were climbing into the FOREST OF BOWLAND.Which is a strange name for a place with no forest only open moorland. We climbed up past WADDINGTON for 4 miles before racing back down to NEWTON. Lots of sheep scattered about the place so you had to be careful on the descents. On through the picturesque village of SLAIDBURN with it's beautiful 17th Century St Andrews church. Then up again, with steep climb after steep climb with fantastic panoramic views and fast descents into NORTH YORKSHIRE.





This is really no place to ride for the faint hearted and would be a far more difficult prospect in more inclement weather. But as Tony had promised."Today was a good day" with the sun and whatever wind there was on our backs.We were having a blast! Stopping to take many photo's of the views from the long and winding car free country lanes that spread out before and after us. After turning right at INGLETON we were  into the YORKSHIRE DALES, in my humble opinion, one of the most beautiful places on earth on a day like today. Fabulous cycling, just stunning!





Jane and I had opted to stick to the route sheet and take on the climb from DENT to DENT STATION.
So we headed deep into the dales. We were warned about there being a possibility of some of the road gates being closed and to take extra care on the steep descents. Very fortunate for me then as Jane reached the 3rd gate before me. I'd stopped to take yet more photo's and came hammering down the hillside, mightily relieved to see Jane's smiling face holding the gate open as I came down too fast to stop. Thanks mate I owe you one!
At 32 miles we came across a beautiful water fall just outside Dent and stopped to go for a closer look. Very tempting to go in for a dip as the water was crystal clear and very cold. I resisted and settled instead for a drink out of the falls.







We got to DENT a couple of miles further on. A picture postcard village with cobbled streets and a drinking fountain at it's center. We popped into the 'SUN INN' for lunch. I indulged myself lifted by the mornings cycling with a nice pint of Yorkshire Beer. Stealing myself for the notorious climb up to Dent station after lunch. 45 minutes later and we were on our way through the winding lanes to COWGILL.





As we turned left out of the village we hit the bottom of the climb. I soon realised that I didn't have the gears ( some may say legs) for the first part of this very steep hill. Jane is made of sterner stuff, helped by her 'Granny gear' on her triple chain set. My compact just ran out of gears and I jumped off and walked the first couple of hundred feet. As I turned the first corner the gradient abated slightly and I hopped back on for another attempt. I can't remember a tougher climb in my cycling life. Snaking steeply and unrelenting. As I reached the station Jane was waiting for me. I rested briefly before continuing what seemed like an age before finally reaching the top of this 4 mile climb 1750 ft up. But I was so pleased we had chosen to take it on. We then had a winding, steep in places, descent into CUMBRIA, where we were treated to a succession of Tornado Jet fly pasts (info supplied by Dave S). More country lanes disappeared under our wheels and we arrived at our destination KIRKBY STEPHEN in high spirits. What a days cycling! The best ever!





Jane was staying at the Black Bull Hotel, so I left her there and went in search of my B&B. Just as I was thinking this day couldn't get any better I found my accommodation. A smart and beautifully decorated house just off the high street and was welcomed by my hosts Barbara and Ken, taken into the garden where Ken took my bike and Barbara led me up the garden path sat me down and  produced a pot of tea cakes and biscuits. Result! As I was sitting in the upper decking of the immaculately kept garden a pair of Macaws flew over,resplendent in their green and red plumage. Did I just imagine that? I went to find Barbara and she explained that the town used to have 7 of these birds ,but now only two remain. Free to fly around in the day before returning home in the evening. Barbara then asked me if I needed any clothes washed and dried! Truly this was a day of days!
I retired to my room that was fit for a king, washed and changed, handed Barbara my cycling gear and went to the Black Bull to have a drink with Jane. After about an hour Dave and Jenny arrived, who had also had a great day and were tired but happy. I described my welcome at the 'WHITE GILL HOUSE' and Dave was soon away for his tea and cake, returning 45 mins later with a spring in his step.
We shared stories of the day over a beer and returned to Barbara and Kens to get changed for the evening meal at the Black Bull.

View today's ride on this link....
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/169773082 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home